TV Distribution / IPTV
Most commercial and public buildings require some form of TV distribution. ClearView’s staff have experience of RF/satellite, IRS, digital and IPTV systems design.
Digital TV has many advantages over analogue:
- Digital transmission means that each channel takes up less space in the airwaves, enabling more channels to be broadcast.
- It is less susceptible to interference.
- Other interactive services can be combined with TV, such as email access and home shopping.
In the UK there are three methods of Digital Television Transmission. All three systems require the use of a set-top box to decode the digital signal. Terrestrial Digital Television is received through an aerial, digital cable is received through an underground network of cables and digital satellite is received through a satellite dish.
Integrated Reception Systems
Integrated Reception Systems (IRS) were developed by Sky Homes and Philips to provide all current forms of terrestrial and satellite TV, Radio and CCTV media to multiple dwellings.
Integrated Reception Systems are the latest in communal aerial systems.
An IRS collects the broadcast signals from terrestrial (analogue & digital) and satellite transmitters, as well as FM radio and the new Digital Audio Broadcasts (DAB). All of these signals are then distributed to a new 3 socket wall outlet plate in each flat, which is screened from electrical interference and which delivers all available TV channels, including both analogue and digital terrestrial, and digital satellite to the resident.
Installing IRS means that the resident is free to decide to either connect their existing TV equipment to the system to pick up the existing free-to-air analogue signals, (until they are switched off), or to take up digital satellite or digital terrestrial television, now or in the future. This solution means that the landlord installing IRS does not have to favour any one particular supplier of TV programming. The choice is left to the resident.
Consumers are increasingly demanding the benefits of digital television with its increased choice and new services. In addition, the government has confirmed that the existing analogue television transmitters will be turned off. Thereafter television will only be available through a digital platform. By making your system 'digital ready' you can satisfy existing residents' demands, as well as making your properties more attractive to potential occupiers.
Although IRS installations are primarily associated with Sky TV, there is no need to favour any one TV service or technology provider.
In fact, an IRS is able to distribute other terrestrial and satellite services including international channels to cater to the diverse range of cultures and nationalities.
IPTV (data network TV)
IP TV relies on the distribution of TV channels (or audio + video) as MPEG IP data streams over corporate data networks. A particular form of transmission known as IP multicasting, is used to minimise the demand on network bandwidth.
Any number of network connected PCs can view the multicast channels. No additional cabling, power supplies, hardware or software are required at the PC.
IPTV enables any TV sources - terrestrial off-air; satellite channels; local video/audio sources; studio outputs; pre recorded educational and training programs; corporate broadcasts - to be viewed on an unlimited number of network connected PCs. No additional hardware or software is required at the PC.
Sources are selected using the control functions of a Graphical User Interface (GUI) displayed on the user's PC. The GUI has a viewing area for the TV source, buttons to select the source viewed and an area to log on. The TV source can be viewed full screen.
IPTV uses MPEG4 technology to produce highly compressed data streams. Combining this with multicasting techniques and the implementation of appropriate routing protocols. It reduces the demand on network bandwidth to the point where it is insignificant.
At the heart of the IPTV System is IPTV which provides management, administration and control functions. Assignment of user access rights, monitoring and system statistics are all provided through one easy to use administration interface. The controller is a highly customisable platform providing the following functions:
- User name/password controlled access of each user to each channel
- Real time display of which channel each user is receiving
- Reporting of channel usage
- Flexible administrative control of user access restrictions
Benefits of IPTV
- Distributes TV and video+audio over existing LANs and WANs
- Unlimited range of TV sources
- Unlimited distribution to every network PC / TV
- Insignificant bandwidth requirements
- Minimal network requirements - works over wireless networks
- Does not compromise network security
- No Internet connection required
- High quality viewing
- Administrative control of who can see what and when on a per channel per user basis
- Eliminates moves and changes costs
- Lower net cost than traditional TV distribution solutions
- No additional cabling, adaptors, leads or power supplies
- Fully managed and supported
- Cost effective as an upgrade to an existing system or as a new installation
- Industry standards based
- Custom user interface can be branded with corporate colours and logo